Earthwatch Europe is an environmental charity with science at its heart. We drive the change needed to live within our means and in balance with nature. We do this by connecting people with the natural world, monitoring the health of our natural resources and informing the actions that will have the greatest positive impact.
We're making great progress. Our working group meet monthly and are really pushing things forward, and our Trustees are very engaged and committed to bringing about real change. Specifically:
1) We have added new questions to our annual staff satisfaction survey to help us monitor how welcome staff feel and how able they are to be themselves. We continue to score very well in the survey.
2) Our HR department continues to work on the details of our recruitment processes and have made a number of changes.
3) Our Trustees have signed off on our priorities and themselves are focused on the next round of Trustee recruitment with diversity being a major priority.
4) We have written and published a Gender Equality Plan
5) We have hard-wired a focus on working with disadvantaged and marginalised communities in urban areas into two of our programmes, both of which seek to bring nature closer to these communities. One of these programmes has secured substantial funding. The other is a key focus for our fundraisers.
Our commitment to 2023 is to deepen our work to connect disadvantaged urban communities with nature. We believe that this is one of the most fundamental things we can do to improve racial diversity in the environment sector in the long run.