The Orchard Project is the only national charity solely dedicated to the creation, restoration and celebration of community orchards. Our vision is to bring orchards into the heart of every urban community. We prioritise working with marginalised communities in areas of urban deprivation where people have poor access to quality greenspace.
The Orchard Project is committed to creating resilient biodiverse orchards
teaming with wildlife as much as we are committed to creating diverse
organisations. We need everyone’s voices, strengths and solutions to help
create an equitable, resilient sustainable society.
Our EDI programme includes:
- Policies: review of our organisational policies to ensure that they are inclusive and fair
- Training: for all staff on the Equality Act,
discrimination and positive action
- Recruitment: iteratively improve our
anonymised recruitment system and introduce positive action into our
- Staffing: creating 2 internships for young people on
universal credit to enter the sector
- Board: provide EDI updates every 4
months to our board of trustees
- Programme development: work to challenge
structural racism in our partnership work; offer to pay development time for
conversations around potential programmes with smaller BAME-led organisations.